Spousal Support


During marriage, one spouse may be the primary income earner for the household, while the other focuses on caring for the home or children. Should circumstances lead to divorce, the husband or wife who contributed a lesser financial amount may find themselves in a position to seek alimony. Alimony, also known as spousal support or spousal maintenance, is, in simple terms, money paid by one spouse to the other, following a divorce. At The Law Offices of Michael P. Von Blon in Houston, Texas, attorney Michael P. Von Blon is certified by the Texas Bar Board of Legal Specialization as a family law specialist. Mr. Von Blon and staff will guide through all aspects of your divorce, including seeking alimony or fighting against it. Contact The Law Offices of Michael P. Von Blon to arrange a consultation.

Spousal Maintenance in Texas

Alimony awards have only been a potential part of Texas divorce settlements since 1995. In recent years, the Texas legislature has expanded the rights of one spouse to court-ordered maintenance. Although the law has been expanded to allow for post-divorce spousal maintenance in certain circumstances, it requires a skilled lawyer to attain the support you need and to maximize the amount and duration of payments. When granted, awards are usually of short duration, lasting usually three years or less, unless specific circumstances mandate a more permanent plan. Spouses requesting alimony must prove they do not have sufficient resources or education to maintain the standard of living they enjoyed during the marriage, as well as other prerequisites.

Texas courts award maintenance payments in very limited scenarios.  For example, if a documented history of domestic violence exists and has occurred within two years of the divorce petition, alimony may be requested. Further, the ability of the court to award spousal maintenance, as well as the length and amount of spousal maintenance also depends on a number of facts such as the length of the marriage and the ability of the spouse seeking spousal maintenance to meet their minimum reasonable needs through assets available to them as well as income generated from their employment. Lastly, if a child or spouse has a permanent disability preventing employment requiring a parent to provide necessary constant care, alimony may be sought.

Maximizing Your Potential For A Positive Outcome

Regardless of whether you are requesting spousal support or disputing your spouse's petition, The Law Offices of Michael P. Von Blon, believe that an amicable approach is the best approach. We start with a friendly negotiation, in an attempt to reach an acceptable agreement. However, if negotiations break down, we will represent your best interest aggressively and powerfully in the courtroom. To begin discussing your case with an experienced lawyer, reach us by telephone at 713-681-5288 or by e-mail.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

The LAW OFFICES OF MICHAEL P. VON BLON proudly serves clients throughout Texas, including Houston, Pasadena, Galveston, Beaumont, Sugar Land, Missouri City, Baytown, Texas City, League City, Pearland, Richmond, Conroe, The Woodlands, Rosenberg, Katy, Harris County, Galveston County, Fort Bend County, Brazoria County, Waller County, Austin County, Montgomery County and Washington County.

You may reproduce materials available at this site for your own personal use and for non-commercial distribution. All copies must include this copyright statement.

Tel: (713) 681-5288 | Fax: (713) 681-5388


MON - FRI | 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM